#FoodTime: The Best Zobo In The World…
Hi guys! It feels like it’s been a while, hasn’t it? I miss y’all! And welcome to November!
I have been receiving complaints that I’m not doing enough food recipe posts and I want to apologize for that, but food recipes will be more regular in 2018. Fingers crossed. But before we get to regular food posts, today I want to share a recipe for Zobo. I have like, a hundred ways to make Zobo but I’m sharing just one today.
First of all, what is Zobo? It’s one of the best drinks in the world and I love it very much! Zobo is a red wine coloured drink made from dry petals of the roselle plant (Hibiscus sabdariffa) which is a hibiscus specie. It goes by different names such as Rosella in Australia, Jamaican sorrel drink in the Caribbean, Sobolo in Ghana, depending on the region it’s prepared.
To make zobo, you have to act like you are creating a gift for the love of your life. That’s the difference between good zobo and awesome zobo that makes you want to lick your lips.
For This Recipe, I Used
Bulukutu(Substitute with lemon grass)
And water (lol, I dunno why I added this but it’s an ingredient, right?)
1- Put some water in a pot, just a quarter of the pot. When it starts to boil, add your Bulukutu or Lemon grass. Remember you grated the ginger, right? Now, squeeze the juice out of it and put the grated ginger with the lemon grass.
2- Now, I don’t know how long this will take because I don’t know the quantity of Zobo, you’re making but, use your sense. When the water has turned in colour and you can smell the ginger in the throat(lol), it’s time to add the Zobo leave and top up the water. You don’t want to fill your pot to the brim, again use your sense. Don’t forget to wash your zobo leaves before cooking them, it tends to be very dirty because of the way the sellers store them.
3- When this beautiful mixture starts to boil, like a volcano, take it off the heat. Let it sit for a hour to an hour and half.
4- Pour in your ginger juice and your lemon juice, use your discretion here, you don’t want, those two overpowering the Zobo. It’s supposed to complement it.
5- Add sugar. Seriously, use your discretion and don’t forget to taste.
6- Refrigerate and serve cold. And there you have it, a very sexy and refreshing drink!
P.s Someday, I’ll do a post for some of my favourite Zobo inspired cocktails. Zobo Mimosas, anyone?
Some health benefits of Zobo from Dooby’s Signature.com
• It has long been used traditionally as a natural diuretic and in the treatment of several diseases such as Urinary tract infections. It promotes kidney functioning.
• Zobo drink is a veritable source of vitamin A.
• According to nutritionists, it has been found to be very effective in the management of hypertension due to its anti-hypertensive properties.
• It also helps in lowering blood pressure as it contains an enzyme inhibitor which blocks the production of Amylase.
• It’s good for diabetic patients.
• It reduces the cholesterol in the body.
• It aids in digestion and acts as a natural health tonic.
• It has antibacterial properties.
• It helps decrease spams in the stomach.
• It soothes colds and provides similar cold relief obtained by consuming antioxidant drinks.
I hope you found the post interesting. Let’s connect more on social media.
Twitter // Facebook // Pinterest // Bloglovin’ // Instagram
Have You Checked Out: